Crowns and bridges are tremendously effective cosmetic options for restoring your smile. If you have a decayed, damaged or cracked tooth, a crown is a covering that fits over the original tooth. Bridges are made from a pontic (false tooth) that is held in place with a crown installed on either side, which is perfect for fixing gaps.
At Mission Peak Dental Care, we offer three types of crowns: porcelain, gold-covered with porcelain and gold crowns.
The procedure for a patient receiving a crown involves:
- Numbing the tooth to remove the decay in or around it
- Re-sculpturing the tooth to provide an ideal fit for the crown
- Making an impression of your teeth in order to create a custom-made crown (usually takes one to two weeks)
- Making a temporary crown out of acrylic resin and fitting it onto the tooth during the interim period when the permanent custom-made crown is being created
- Applying the permanent crown (when received from the lab) by removing the temporary crown and fitting the permanent one onto the tooth
- After ensuring that the crown has the proper look and fit, the dentist cements it into place
This process generally requires a minimum of two visits over a two-week period. Once the procedure is completed, proper dental hygiene such as daily brushing and flossing maintains healthy, bacteria-free teeth, gums and crowns. Not only does this prevent gum disease, but could also help your crowns last a lifetime.
Do You Need Crowns & Bridges in Fremont?
We work with each of our patients to discuss the details of your treatment and any possible alternatives. To schedule an appointment, contact us at (510) 790-0590!