You might think that a baby tooth is insignificant, but it actually plays an important role in children’s health and development. Aside from the fact that baby teeth help children speak, smile, and chew, they also maintain space in the jaws for permanent teeth to grow in. This prevents overcrowding and misalignment problems. That’s why it’s important to teach your child good oral hygiene habits and see a dentist in Fremont CA regularly.
How can You Protect Your Baby’s Teeth from Damage?
Birth to 12 Months
- From birth to 12 months, it’s important that you gently wipe your baby’s mouth to keep it clean. Use a clean baby washcloth to do this.
- Once the first tooth appears, use a soft-bristled baby toothbrush and a smear of fluoride toothpaste to clean it. You can visit a dentist in Fremont CA as early as your child gets his/her first tooth.
12 to 36 Months
- Make sure to brush your child’s teeth at least twice daily for two minutes. Do this right after breakfast and before bed. Only use a grain size toothpaste until your child is three years old.
- Don’t let your child use their bottle or sippy cup as a pacifier. If they latch on their bottle or sippy cup for far too long, it can result in an open bite or other malocclusions.
- If your child wants to have a bottle in between meals, fill it only with fluoridated water.
- If your water does not contain fluoride your dentist may recommend fluoride supplements or apply a fluoride treatment to protect your child’s teeth from decay.
- Train your child to drink from a regular cup once they reach the age of 12-15 months. When your child drinks from a cup, milk or juice are less likely to accumulate on your child’s teeth and develop into plaque. This can help prevent decay.
- Don’t let your child eat too many sweets. Sugar and starch can develop into plaque and cause decay.
Looking for a Dentist in Fremont CA?
Establish good oral hygiene habits at home and visit the dentist in Fremont CA regularly to keep you and your child’s teeth problem-free! At Mission Peak Dental Care, we offer a wide range of dental treatments for you and your family!